Dermal fillers are a less-drastic alternative to traditional surgery. That said, having any non-surgical treatment can be a daunting experience for clients, and in our experience a major reason for this is that patients simply don’t know what to expect. At VIVA we pride ourselves on client education and part of this is sharing the best aftercare advice. Here, we delve into the dos, don’ts and what ifs of dermal filler aftercare:
- Do rest up after treatment: Dermal filler treatments don’t particularly require any real down time but we recommend avoiding strenuous activity in the 24 hours after your procedure.
- Do ask us any questions you may have following your procedure: We are always on hand to answer any of your queries via email or phone call and we are also always happy to book clients in for a review appointment 2 weeks post treatment.
- Do expect some bruising and swelling: Bruising, swelling and redness is usually very minimal and relatively quick to subside. However, some bruising and swelling is to be expected so if you do experience this try not to panic and have patience. The severity of the swelling varies from person to person and from treatment to treatment and it can take up to two weeks to go down. This is very normal and nothing to worry about.
- Do use arnica to reduce swelling: Arnica is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and can be taken as a tablet or used as a gel to help reduce bruising and inflammation.
- Do use ice: Ice is another great way to reduce any swelling you have and to speed up the healing process.
- Don’t fly for 48 hours following treatment: We recommend this as a precautionary measure and also because we recommend you are able to attend clinic 2 weeks after treatment in case you require a review or a filler top-up.
- Don’t aggravate the treated area: Try not to massage or scratch the area post treatment to give the product time to settle.
- Don’t drink: We recommend avoiding alcohol for 24 hours following dermal filler treatment.
- Don’t use saunas or steam rooms: Avoid any heat related environments for a 48-hour period following your procedure.
- Don’t take part in strenuous exercise: Use the 24 hours following your appointment as an opportunity to kick back and relax.
- What if I’m not happy with treatment? We understand it can be frustrating if you aren’t immediately pleased with your filler results. If you are dissatisfied, we are happy to answer any questions you may have via email or phone. If you want to have a review, we ask you allow 2 weeks for the product to completely settle and for any swelling to go down before coming back to clinic. In your review appointment we will assess your results and readdress your treatment plan moving forward.
- What if something has gone wrong? No treatment is completely risk-free and it can therefore be worrying post treatment if you think something isn’t right. Remember that any serious side effects of filler treatments are extremely rare and what you experience post treatment is likely down to tenderness, which will go down over time. If you are concerned you can contact us at any time and we will answer any queries you have.
- What if I want more filler? At VIVA we follow a ‘less is more’ approach so that our results are natural looking. If you feel that you need more product you are welcome to come back to clinic after 2 weeks to assess your results. From here, we can top-up your dermal filler as necessary. Sometimes multiple sessions are required for optimal results and this will be discussed during your consultation.