Lip fillers are a fantastic way to add volume and achieve a softer, fuller and more hydrated pair of lips. During the treatment, we use a series of small injections which place small amounts of dermal filler into your lips. Dermal fillers contain hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring chemical in your body and so is perfectly safe and healthy to use.
There are however sometimes some side-effects to the lip injection treatment.
Swelling after lip fillers
After any invasive treatment including an injection, even if it is a small needle there is likely to be small amount of swelling afterwards. This should reduce very rapidly, often within 24-48 hours.
For the full effect of the lip filler treatment become apparent you will need to wait for up to a week for the initial treatment swelling to completely subsided.
How to hide and reduce swelling after a dermal filler treatment
Although swelling is inevitable with lip filler, try these following tips to hide and reduce swelling:
- Apply ice to the area to after treatment. Remember to place it in a tea towel to avoid direct ice contact with your lips.
- Drink lots of water – keeping fully hydrated allows your body to mobilise fluids, rather than store them in single places (swelling) staying hydrated keeps the flow of fluid around your body.
- Avoid rigorous exercise, this can increase the chances of swelling.
Bruising after lip fillers
As with swelling, with any form of injectable treatment some mild bruising should be expected. You can use a tinted lip balm or concealer to help conceal any bruising the day after treatment
It’s good to remember to book your lip filler treatment at least one week prior to any important events as this gives time for the bruising and any swelling to subside.
How to hide and reduce bruising after a dermal filler treatment
Here are a few tips to avoid bruising after your procedure:
- Avoid alcohol for 48 hours after injections.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for 48 hours after the procedure.
- Apply Arnica gel, it will help you heal faster.
- Like with swelling, apply ice to the lips after treatment.