Everybody likes to overindulge during party season and this is likely to include a celebratory drink or two. Now, we all know that alcohol isn’t good for our skin, but here is what actually happens when we drink too much of it:
Most of us are familiar with that thirsty feeling after drinking but the dehydration doesn’t stop there- alcohol is a diuretic and when we consume it, the fluid in our bodies gets forced out. This can leave your complexion dry, dull and flaky in the short term and in the long term mean you are more likely to develop fine lines and wrinkles.
Alcohol doesn’t cause breakouts directly but if you do suffer from acne, you may notice this worsen when you drink. Alcohol can affect the delicate balance of our hormones, which in turn can aggravate the skin and cause a flare up. Drinking also affects our sleep patterns and feeling run down or stressed can be detrimental to the skin- not to mention forgetting to remove makeup after a late night! This dirt build-up clogs pores, causing spots to make an appearance.
For many, distinctive rosy cheeks develop after a couple of cocktails. The facial flush happens when the blood vessels in the face start to dilate in response to the toxins found in alcohol. It usually occurs because a person has a slight intolerance or through drinking excessively.
INFLAMATION AND PUFFINESS
Have you ever noticed that your face seems to swell after a night of drinking? Alcohol causes inflammation throughout our bodies and this is visible when it comes to our skin, causing facial puffiness and bloating.
WHAT CAN BE DONE TO REDUCE THESE AFFECTS?
Of course, not drinking would be best solution for the skin but we understand that most people enjoy a festive tipple and we don’t want to be party poopers here! To reduce your chances of these symptoms try to follow these easy steps:
- Limit alcohol consumption and give your body a break when you haven’t got an event or get together planned.
- Drink plenty of water between drinks to stay hydrated.
- Use a moisturiser daily to directly target dryness (those that contain Vitamin A are best!)
- Be sure to take the time to thoroughly remove ALL makeup after a night out to avoid breakouts.
- Try to get plenty of sleep- your body needs to recharge!
TREATMENTS TO RESTORE AND REFRESH THE COMPLEXION
To give your complexion an extra boost in the New Year and restore the skin following festivities, we have a number of treatments available:
- The PRP ‘Collagen Renewal Facial’: Using the body’s own healing abilities to encourage cell turnover and collagen growth, this facial combines microneedling with the reintroduction of activated platelets to repair the skin from within.
- The AQUAGOLD® fine touch™ facial: A quick and effective skincare treatment which utilises 24-Karat gold plated micro-needles, all finer than a human hair to deliver a potent elixir of hyaluronic acid that works to plump, hydrate and refresh.
- Dermal fillers: If your complexion is left feeling a bit lacklustre after the holidays, high quality Juvederm dermal fillers can be used to effectively restore volume, plump, and revitalise the skin. All of our dermal procedures are completely bespoke at VIVA, ensuring you receive the right treatment plan for your.
Interested? To ensure you secure a New Year appointment with one of our experts, you can book a consultation with us today by using our handy online booking feature. You can also give one of our friendly team a call on 02037 332199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.